RISD Foundation Studies | Spatial Dynamics : Visual-Making
Assignment: Scape of a Drawing
In this assignment, students made a 2D scape or scapes of a drawing.
- Start with a specific drawing/painting of your choice. Extract shapes/traces from this drawing and whatever is extracted becomes the seed(s) for the scape.
- Pick/chose and extract seed shapes in various ways (analog or digital): use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop or simply trace over/cut out the drawings by hand.
- Isolate and reproduce the seed shapes in analog or digital formats.
- Organize the seed shapes using planar transformations. Be very explicit with the shapes and rules. Track the development of developing scape. Record the steps (take photos).
- Look at the final work and name it. What –scape is it a scape of? Redo the assignment to produce multiple iterations/scapes.
HOME | TOP